People disembarking from the Aquarius ship in the port of Palermo | Photo: ANSA/IGOR PETYX
People disembarking from the Aquarius ship in the port of Palermo | Photo: ANSA/IGOR PETYX

Oxfam has denounced the new Italian security and migration decree. The charity says that the new law may soon leave over 12,000 vulnerable migrants homeless. Ten times as many migrants are at risk of becoming undocumented over the next two years.

A new report by the charity Oxfam recounts the stories of "vulnerable" migrants that they believe could soon end up undocumented and out on the streets due to Italy's new migration decree. This includes teenage mothers, young unaccompanied migrants who have just turned 18, and traumatized migrants who fled the horrors of war, persecution and torture in Libya. 

Oxfam wants to show what life is like for people who "from one day to the next are having their right to reception and integration denied." 

12,000 at risk of ending up in the streets 

"When I arrived in Libya, I was kidnapped and taken to prison. There, the people are beaten every day and many were killed in front of me simply because they asked to be paid for the work they had done," Ibrahim Salifu - a refugee being hosted by Oxfam in a special reception center - said in a video released by the charity. According to Oxfam, Ibrahim was recently granted humanitarian protection because of the trauma, and the physical and psychological abuse that he suffered. But since his application was approved after October 5 - when the decree came into force - he may end up on the street since the new law states that he can no longer stay in an asylum seekers and refugees protection (SPRAR) center. 

According to the Oxfam report, some 12,000 vulnerable migrants are currently in a similar situation. The organization expects that over the next two years, about 120,000 migrants in Italy will become undocumented.  

Out of the 18,000 people who were granted humanitarian protection from January until September in Italy, only a minority will be able to continue integration activities in SPRAR centers, said Giulia Capitani, Oxfam's Italy policy advisor for the migration crisis. 

Ministry: 140,000 hosted, 110,000 asylum seekers 

"Despite the current reduction in migration flows (a 80 percent decrease compared to the same period last year), the number of migrants that continue to stay in Italy is significant, due both to the high number of migrant landings of the past and the long presence of asylum seekers, resulting in a strong impact on the country," the Italian interior ministry said.  "So far about 140,000 people have been granted reception and about 110,000 asylum requests are being processed."

The ministry has issued a dossier in which it explains the reasons and aims of the security and migration decree. Under the new regulations, ''protection remains the same for those who fled persecution and discrimination, and humanitarian protection has not been 'abolished'. It continues to exist but is now granted only under very well defined circumstances," the dossier read.

 

More articles