Two Malians, one of whom was a teenager, died during a forced displacement in early August by the Moroccan authorities. The circumstances surrounding their deaths are still unknown.
One was 16 years old and was named Mimoune Traoré; the other is still unidentified. Two migrants from Mali died in early August during a forced displacement led by the Moroccan authorities. The Moroccan Association of Human Rights (AMDH) learned of their deaths last week and attempted to find out more.
The two Malians were arrested in Tangier, where they were among hundreds of migrants hoping to make it to Europe. They were killed at the entrance of the Kenitra city, about 50 kilometers north of Rabat, during a bus transport operated by Moroccan authorities.
The circumstances leading to their deaths are still unknown, two unverified versions of the story are circulating.
"Migrants told us that police drove the two Malians on the highway while the bus was traveling at high speed," Saïd Tbel, an official of the Moroccan Association of Human Rights (AMDH) in Kenitra, told InfoMigrants.
The other version, also recounted by migrants who were there, says there was a fight on the bus between the two Malians and police. "The migrants threatened to jump off the bus because they refused to be sent to southern Morocco, the security forces did not take them seriously and the migrants threw themselves into the void," Tbel said .
When contacted by AFP, local authorities referred to an "accident". They said that an investigation had been opened to determine the cause of death, but provided no further details.
Mimoune Traoré was buried Friday, August 31 at Kenitra Cemetery "in the presence of his brother and his family members," reads AMDH’s Facebook page. The body of the second victim is still in the city morgue, awaiting identification.
Protest against forced displacement
Since the beginning of August, Morocco has stepped up the transfer of migrants from the north to the south, away from the Spanish coasts and the Spanish autonomous cities of Ceuta and Melilla. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) estimates that some 3,100 migrants have entered the two Spanish enclaves since the beginning of the year.
Friday, August 31, hundreds of migrants from sub-Saharan Africa marched in the Mesnana district of Tangier to denounce forced displacement. The protesters waved signs with the word "freedom" when the police put them on buses bound for the south of the country