The entrance of the Turin CPR on Corso Brunelleschi | Photo: ANSA/ALESSANDRO DI MARCO
The entrance of the Turin CPR on Corso Brunelleschi | Photo: ANSA/ALESSANDRO DI MARCO

Five police officers were slightly injured during a protest at the Turin migrant repatriation center in northern Italy on Monday. Some migrants set fire to mattresses and other objects; five people were arrested.

A riot occurred Monday morning at the Turin migrant repatriation center (CPR) when migrants staying in the green and white areas of the center set fire to mattresses and furnishings. Five police officers were slightly injured and treated in hospital for contusions that doctors said would require a week to heal.

After analyzing video surveillance footage of the riot, police arrested five people who were determined as having been responsible.

Protests in Italy possibly linked 

A previous riot broke out in the same CPR during the night between January 4 and 5, in which fires were set in all the areas of the center. Six people were arrested and subsequently repatriated. 

Similar protests also broke out in CPRs in Caltanissetta, Trapani, and Bari. Investigators said the riots may have been managed by a common source and said members of the anarchist movement may have planned the riots. 

Three revolts since start of year in Turin CPR, 11 arrests 

Speaking on the latest riot, Michele Sole, director of the Turin immigration office, said his office intends to "repatriate as many people as possible and not release anyone." There are 97 detainees at the Turin CPR, located on Corso Brunelleschi. Turin police said 90% of the detainees there have prior criminal records for sexual violence, murder, attempted murder and injuries, and the remaining 10% for minor crimes. 

Three of the five people arrested for Monday's riot have prior criminal records for group sexual violence, including against minors. Investigators claim that detainees at the center would destroy the structure and then film the results to show that the health and hygiene conditions are no longer suitable for staying there. 

Since the start of the year, there have been three riots, 11 arrests, and 19 repatriations.
 

More articles