A migrant takes a photo with his cell phone during a demonstration against racism promoted by the Movimento Migranti e Rifugiati di Caserta a Castelvolturno |Photo: ANSA/Cesare Abate
A migrant takes a photo with his cell phone during a demonstration against racism promoted by the Movimento Migranti e Rifugiati di Caserta a Castelvolturno |Photo: ANSA/Cesare Abate

The president of the southern province of Caserta, Giorgio Magliocca, has asked the Italian government to identify undocumented migrants in the area, in order to assist them amid the coronavirus emergency.

The president of the southern province of Caserta, Giorgio Magliocca, sent a letter on April 24 to Italian Premier Giuseppe Conte and to coronavirus procurement commissioner, Domenico Arcuri, urging the government to map undocumented migrants in the area in order to provide healthcare assistance to them.

"It is necessary for the government to map and provide healthcare assistance to undocumented foreigners in the area of Castel Volturno and Mondragone and across the entire costal area of Litorale Domizio," said Magliocca.

Between 15,000 and 20,000 undocumented migrants without access to health care are estimated to live in the area.

'A necessary measure'

Magliocca said the coronavirus emergency has not affected foreigners in the area so far but the situation could change, as stringent lockdown measures currently in place to combat the spread of the virus will be gradually relaxed in May.

"Services for foreigners should be provided at local healthcare facilities" in agreement with local administrations and volunteer groups, Magliocca said. He said the measure was also necessary to support local residents "who have endured for decades, with a great spirit of sacrifice, [what has essentially become] the largest [unofficial] and free hosting center in Italy [and by extension for] Europe."
 

More articles