Finding a job in France can be challenging, especially if you are a refugee and don’t know the French system yet. InfoMigrants explains how to find job offers, how to apply for jobs, and which organisations can help you.
- I just arrived in France. Am I allowed to work here?
- If you don’t have any papers, you are not allowed to work in France.
- If you are an asylum seeker and your case has not yet been reviewed by Ofpra (Office français de protection des réfugiés et apatrides, the French office for the protection of refugees), you are not allowed to work except in certain cases.
- You will be allowed to work in France only if you have been granted refugee status, or a long-stay visa (titre de séjour) with the right to work.
- I’m allowed to work in France. How do I apply for a job?
To apply for a job in France, you need two things: a CV (curriculum vitae) and a cover letter.
- A CV is a document that lists and describes your professional experience, your education, and any other certificates or diplomas that you have received.
- A cover letter is a document written to the company or individual who is offering the job. The purpose of the letter is to introduce yourself, say why you want the job, and describe your qualities and experience in more detail.
- How do I find a job?
There are several options:
- Respond to job postings on job websites, such as: Jobijoba, Adecco, Manpower, Indeed, Monster
- Contact an employment agency or a temporary work agency.
- Send your CV to companies that interest you, even if there is no job posted, either by email or paper mail.
- Contact organisations that work specifically with refugees, like Action emploi réfugiés, La fabrique nomade (for craftsperson), or Les cuistots migrateurs (for cooks and chefs).
- Go door-to-door and give your CV to companies in person.
- How can I get help with the first steps?
Several organisations can help you write or re-write your CV, and help you prepare for a job interview: le Secours catholique, Singa, Baam, Revivre, le Secours populaire, Action emploi réfugiés, France Terre d’asile.