A moment of the demonstration to ask the government to change its immigration policies, responding to the appeal 'the submerged and the saved' launched by Luigi Manconi | PHOTO/ANSA/GIUSEPPE LAMI
A moment of the demonstration to ask the government to change its immigration policies, responding to the appeal 'the submerged and the saved' launched by Luigi Manconi | PHOTO/ANSA/GIUSEPPE LAMI

Protesters in Rome took to the streets on Monday, July 27, to call on the Italian government to stop financing the Libyan coast guard and to close detention centers. They also called for a transfer of migrants from Libya through humanitarian corridors.

Dozens of people protested in Rome's Piazza San Silvestro on July 27 to ask the Italian government for a change in immigration policies. Protesters included politicians and intellectuals such as Roberto Saviano, Emma Bonino, Riccardo Magi, Gianni Cuperlo, Matteo Orfini, Laura Boldrini, Michela Murgia e Sandro Veronesi.


In particular, they criticized the government's recent decision to approve new funds for Libya's coast guard.  

"Not all of Italy recognizes itself in the shameful decision last July 16 to refinance the Libyan coast guard," said Luigi Manconi, former senator and president of the association 'A buon diritto Onlus'. 

"Italy can do better and more. It is necessary to completely change policies so far implemented, which have been a failure both from a human rights standpoint and also in regulating migrant flows," Manconi said. 

Manconi had launched the appeal for the protest under the motto 'I sommersi e I salvati' (the submerged and the saved). It was signed and supported by NGOs including Sea Watch, Doctors Without Borders (MSF), the Astalli Center and Acli. 


 

More articles