France will welcome 500 unaccompanied minors from Greece. The French European Affairs Minister has confirmed that 150 children are to be evacuated after the fire at Moria camp on Lesbos.
"France has already made a precise commitment for 350 minors and we are going to make a commitment for 150 more minors" from the burned-out Moria camp on Lesbos, European Affairs Minister Clement Beaune told broadcaster RTL.
France's foreign ministry later clarified that the country had already announced it would take in 500 minors, AFP reported.
In total, Beaune said, “France will welcome around 1,000 people, half of whom are minors.”
Around 12,300 people were left homeless when the overcrowded Moria camp on Lesbos burned down on September 8 and 9.
Ten European countries agreed to cooperate in the evacuation of around 400 unaccompanied minors from Lesbos following the fire. Germany and France said they would take in the bulk of the children, about 100-150 each.
Malta's prime minister, Robert Abela, described the latest evacuation to France as "solidarity in action."
Italy announced this week that 300 vulnerable migrants would be brought to Rome, mostly unaccompanied minors and families with children.