Yacoub El Hillo, United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator for Libya | Photo: EPA/Martial Trezzini
Yacoub El Hillo, United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator for Libya | Photo: EPA/Martial Trezzini

A 15-year-old asylum seeker was killed during an attack on a Tripoli shelter earlier this week. Now, the United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator for Libya has asked local authorities to investigate the killing and prosecute the perpetrators.

"I am shocked and deeply saddened to learn of the death of a young Eritrean asylum seeker Tuesday at a shelter in Tripoli," the United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator for Libya, Yacoub El Hillo, said in a statement released by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) on Wednesday.

"Like many Libyans, migrants, refugees and asylum seekers continue to pay the price of the protracted crisis in the country. I urge the Libyan authorities to fully investigate this incident and bring the perpetrators to justice," said El Hillo.

Attack on Tripoli shelter

In the early hours of Tuesday morning, a group of six men reportedly entered the shelter in the Gergaresh area and began shooting, killing the 15-year-old asylum seeker and wounding two others.

Around 5,600 Eritrean asylum seekers and refugees have been registered by UN refugee agency UNHCR and live in urban areas in Libya, according to OCHA.

Libya not safe for migrants, refugees

UN agencies and aid groups have repeatedly pointed out that Libya is not safe for migrants and refugees -- many of them have experienced abitrary detention, blackmail, abuse, trafficking and labor exploitation.

In January, two other Eritrean asylum seekers were shot dead at their accommodation in Tripoli, the OCHA press release said. In May, 30 migrants were reportedly shot dead and 11 others were injured at a smuggling warehouse in the city of Mizdah.

 

More articles