At least one man has drowned after a migrant dinghy sank off the Greek island of Rhodes. Coast guard authorities said the boat had set off from the Turkish coast.
One person has died after a speedboat partially sank off the island of Rhodes. The Greek coast guard said on Monday that it was still searching for persons who may be in danger.
The boat, which had set off from Turkey, had begun to sink close to the Kato Petres beach northwest of Rhodes, the coastguard said.
A local broadcaster showed the half-submerged vessel in the waves, according to the news agency dpa.
Thirteen people who had been on the speedboat were located by search and rescue authorities and were in good health. The body of a man was also retrieved, the coast guard statement said.
A dead man’s body was found near the boat, the Greek news agency amna reported.
It was not immediately clear if any people were still missing. According to the survivors, a total of 14 people had been on board.
At least 9,342 people arrived on the Greek Aegean islands between the start of the year and November 15, according to the United Nations Refugee Agency, UNHCR.
This reflects a substantial decline from the 59,726 arrivals in 2019, partly due to the coronavirus pandemic. Turkish and Greek policies restricting movement as well as increased border patrols have also made crossings harder.
With dpa, amna