Proposed in September 2020, the New Pact on Migration and Asylum sets out the European Commission's new approach to migration in the bloc. It addresses border management and aims to integrate the internal and external dimensions of migration policies.
Migratory movements of people in recent years showed the complexity of European migration management. This is a constant feature of human history and has a profound impact on European society, economy and culture. Managed well, migration can contribute to growth, innovation and social dynamism. An effective system that manages and normalises migration should ensure secure external borders, respect for fundamental rights and free movement within the Schengen Area. In order to benefit from opportunities and tackle challenges, the European Commission proposed, in September 2020, the New Pact on Migration and Asylum.
The New Pact on Migration and Asylum addresses migration, asylum, integration and border management. It aims to create more efficient and fair migration processes, reducing unsafe and irregular routes and promoting sustainable and safe legal pathways to those in need of protection. The New Pact revolves around solidarity and responsibility.
The New Pact introduces:
· Effective and fair management of external borders, including identity, health and security checks;
· Fair and efficient asylum rules, streamlining procedures on asylum and return;
· A new solidarity mechanism for situations of search and rescue, pressure and crisis;
· Stronger foresight, crisis preparedness and response;
· Efficient, EU-coordinated approach to returns;
· Comprehensive governance at EU level for better management and implementation of asylum and migration policies;
· Mutually beneficial partnerships with key third countries of origin and transit;
· Development of sustainable legal pathways for those in need of protection and to attract talent to the EU; and
· Support to effective integration policies.
To find out more:
Press release on the New Pact on Migration and Asylum
MEMO: New Pact on Migration and Asylum
MEMO: Building on the progress made since 2016 – New Pact on Migration and Asylum