Shamsullah retrieves some of his belongings from the Moria camp a few days after the blaze | Photo: Mehdi Chebil/InfoMigrants
Shamsullah retrieves some of his belongings from the Moria camp a few days after the blaze | Photo: Mehdi Chebil/InfoMigrants

Shamsullah Ajad is a 16-year-old migrant from Kunduz in northern Afghanistan. InfoMigrants met him as he was collecting his belongings from a tent in the former Moria camp, where most structures have been destroyed by fire.

"I did my asylum interview two months ago and I was told I would get an answer on September 14. But the Moria camp was destroyed by fire last week and I don't know where to get the result of my asylum request.

 I'm 16 years old, but authorities don't acknowledge the fact that I'm underage. When I first arrived in Lesbos, I didn't have any ID on me. Later, I received a letter from Afghanistan with documents showing I was a minor. But it was too late because I had already been registered as an adult.

I was the only underage person among the ten people who used to live in this tent. I have been stranded in Lesbos for 11 months. I have an uncle in Germany and a cousin in France but I'm not the one deciding where I will be sent. I will follow what authorities decide for me.

Shamsullah next to the tent where he used to live. Only three tents in this part of the camp have not been destroyed.I remember when the blaze started, around 11 p.m. on the night between the 8th and 9th of September. I was in the tent and suddenly we saw five-meter-high flames. We were very scared and we ran away immediately.

Now I'm sleeping near the Lidl parking lot on the coastal road below. Our tent didn't completely burn so I came back to retrieve some of my belongings. Today I came to get a blanket because it gets cold when you sleep outside.

I don't know if I will go in the new temporary camp. Some migrants say that if you go inside, you can't leave anymore. Also I'm not sure I would be allowed in because I've heard the new camp was only for families*"

[*A spokeperson for the Greek Ministry of Migration and Asylum said that "vulnerable" people would be given priority in the new camp.]